Ah, the cozy comfort of curling up on the couch with a glass of wine, a bowl of popcorn, and a delightful romantic comedy on Netflix. There’s just something magical about the world of rom-coms that allows us to escape from the chaos of everyday life. Fortunately, streaming services like Netflix have breathed new life into the rom-com genre, offering us a treasure trove of charming love stories to enjoy.
In this blog post, we’ll take you through a handpicked selection of 15 of the best rom-coms available on Netflix. From time-traveling knights to modern-day love stories, we’ve got your romantic cravings covered.
- “The Knight Before Christmas” (2019): If you’re a fan of Hallmark-style romances, “The Knight Before Christmas” is a must-watch. This heartwarming time-travel rom-com takes you on a holiday adventure as Sir Cole, a charming knight from centuries ago, finds himself stranded in the present day. Urbanite Brooke Winters nearly runs him over with her car, and from there, an irresistible timeline-crossed romance ensues.
- “The Incredible Jessica James” (2017): Starring Jessica Williams, a veteran of The Daily Show, this quirky rom-com introduces us to Jessica, a free-spirited playwright who unexpectedly connects with recently divorced Boone. Their bond over ex-stalking leads to beneficial changes in their lives, but the specter of Jessica’s former boyfriend Damon and Boone’s lingering ex make for a delightfully complicated plot.
- “Love Actually” (2003): A timeless classic, “Love Actually” weaves together eight individual love stories set in the five weeks leading up to Christmas. As these stories unfold, they gradually intersect, revealing the beautiful, humorous, and sometimes heartbreaking complexities of relationships.
- “Silver Linings Playbook” (2012): This unconventional rom-com showcases the electric chemistry between Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper. Pat, a man with bipolar disorder, enlists the help of the widowed Tiffany to mend his life and marriage. Together, they explore the intricacies of relationships, love, and personal growth.
- “Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga” (2020): Will Ferrell and Rachel McAdams take the stage in this unique rom-com. Two best friends from Iceland aim to make their mark in the international Eurovision song contest, all the while navigating their complicated, will-they-or-won’t-they relationship. Plus, the catchy original songs are a bonus!
- “Your Place or Mine” (2023): Reese Witherspoon and Ashton Kutcher star in this opposites-attract rom-com. Best friends Debbie and Peter, who shared a one-night stand two decades ago, decide to swap houses for a week. The result? A heartwarming journey of self-discovery and rekindled romance.
- “Pride and Prejudice” (2005): Jane Austen’s classic novel gets a swoon-worthy adaptation with Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet and Matthew McFadyen as Mr. Darcy. Their on-screen chemistry and the lush countryside settings make this timeless tale a must-watch for rom-com enthusiasts.
- “The Kissing Booth” (2018): Joey King stars as Elle, a late-blooming teenager who risks her lifelong friendship when she falls for her best friend’s bad-boy brother, Noah. This teenage rom-com, with its feel-good vibes, has even spawned two sequels for those who can’t get enough of Elle and Noah’s rollercoaster love story.
- “Always Be My Maybe” (2019): Sasha reunites with her childhood friend and fling, Marcus, in her hometown of San Francisco. Despite a 15-year gap in their connection, sparks reignite. But their timing has always been a bit off, and Marcus has to contend with the fact that Sasha’s new boyfriend is none other than Keanu Reeves. Will destiny finally bring them together?
- “Long Story Short” (2021): In this Australian rom-com, Teddy wakes up after his wedding to find that time is moving at an alarmingly fast pace, with a year passing every minute. As he and his best friend strive to ensure a perfect day, Teddy faces growing troubles in his marriage, offering viewers a lesson in what truly matters in life.
- “The Lovebirds” (2020): Issa Rae and Kumail Nanjiani star as a couple whose relationship is on the rocks. When they witness a murder and find themselves on the run, their bond is tested as they navigate both the criminal world and their own problems. Can their love survive the chaos?
- “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” (2008): This sweet yet raunchy rom-com follows the journey of Peter, who takes a trip to Hawaii to escape the heartbreak of a five-year relationship. Of course, his ex, Sarah, and her new beau are also at the same resort. Enter Rachel, who might help Peter find a happier direction in life.
- “Friends with Benefits” (2011): Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake star in this delightful rom-com about two friends who decide to have a no-strings-attached sexual relationship. But as they soon discover, intimacy can’t be devoid of emotions. Their evolving connection adds depth to the story.
- “La La Land” (2016): This modern classic is a musical masterpiece, with Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone playing aspiring artists in Los Angeles. Their love story is a rollercoaster ride of dreams, success, and challenges. “La La Land” is a visually stunning, emotionally resonant rom-com.
- “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” (2018): This sweet coming-of-age rom-com introduces us to Lara Jean Covey, who writes secret love letters to boys she’s had feelings for but never sends them. When her little sister Kitty discovers the letters and mails them, Lara Jean’s world turns upside down. Fake-dating her former crush, Peter, leads to a genuine connection that beautifully captures the emotions of young love.
Conclusion: So there you have it, your ultimate guide to 15 heartwarming rom-coms on Netflix. Whether you’re in the mood for time travel, classic adaptations, or contemporary love stories, these films offer the perfect escape. Grab your wine, popcorn, and a cozy blanket, and start streaming the magic of romance today. Love is in the air, and Netflix has it all!