Los Angeles, CA, October 24, 2023 – The days of freely sharing Netflix passwords are behind us, with the company’s crackdown on password sharing in the US starting in early summer 2023. While users can still share passwords with individuals outside their household, it comes at an additional cost of $8 per extra person. The standard Netflix plan allows for one additional person, while premium users can add up to two.
However, if you’ve been left in the lurch after being booted off a shared Netflix account, don’t despair. You can transfer your profile to a new or existing account, preserving your recommendations, watchlists, and settings. Here’s how to enable and use Netflix’s Transfer Profile feature:
Step 1: Enable the Profile Transfer Feature on Netflix
- On your computer, access the Netflix website, select the profile you want to transfer, and hover over your profile icon in the top right. Click “Transfer Profile” in the dropdown menu, and on the next page, click “Allow.”
- On your mobile device, open the Netflix app, navigate to your profile, tap your profile icon in the top-right corner, access your account settings, and scroll down to “Turn on profile transfers.” This will redirect you to the official profile transfer page, where you can click “Allow.”
Once enabled, profile transfers will be available for two years.
Step 2: Transfer Your Profile
- After enabling the Transfer Profile feature, log in to your original Netflix account (web or mobile) and access the Transfer Profile page in your settings. This page will guide you through the process, including a summary of what the feature does:
- Transfers recommendations, viewing history, saved items, settings, and more to another account.
- Creates a backup of your profile on the original account.
- Begin the process by clicking “Start Profile Transfer” and select whether you want to transfer your profile to a new or existing account.
- If creating a new account, provide the necessary credentials for the new account, verify your email, and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the setup.
- If transferring to an existing account, you’ll need the login and password of that account.
The owner of the original account and the owner of the receiving account will be notified once the transfer process is complete.
In case you get logged out during the transfer, you can continue by logging back in and using the “Finish Transfer” setting.
While Netflix’s policy on password sharing has changed, the ability to transfer profiles offers users a way to retain their viewing history and preferences, making the transition to a new account a smoother experience.